Asha Dornfest – Our Friend of the Week
Asha’s What — “I am totally into…are you ready for this? My Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. I KNOW, THE GLAMOUR. It cooks meals in record time, and has replaced my slow cooker, my rice cooker, and my yogurt maker. Hard boiled eggs are now effortless. I love this thing and am constantly looking for new ways to use it.”
FRIEND OF THE WEEK: 11 QUESTIONS
Website: Parent Hacks
- Where do you live? Portland, Oregon
- Nickname(s) None
- How do you spend your days? I’m self-employed, so the mornings and early afternoons are divided between my home office and an exciting, new co-working community in NE Portland. After the kids get home from school, my interests run toward the domestic — I love to find new things to cook or (on rare sunny days) grow in the garden. Otherwise, I’m always looking for opportunities to get outside for a walk or hike with friends, family or my dog. And I’m usually planning (or at least fantasizing about) our next family travel opportunity.
- What’s your drink? I’ve always been a total dunce at the bar — I never know what to order, so I always volunteer to drive home! I tend default to whatever is gingery, lime-y or herbal.
- What do you wonder about? I wonder if the lessons and values I try to impart to my kids will be the ones that stick with them as adults, or if what they learn most from me is something unspoken I have no idea I’m communicating.
- What is the most inspiring thing you’ve seen, watched, or read recently? Jennifer Lawson’s book, Furiously Happy. Jenny’s talent, courage, and generosity is astounding. She’s smart, hilarious, and a damn good writer. But more important, she’s created a space all her own where she can feel safe, and she’s invited her readers to join her there. And they have, and they adore her for it. It’s not too much to say that her writing saves peoples’ lives, and makes others’ less lonely.
- If you could wake up with any superpower, what would it be? I’m a travel fiend so I’d love instant transport and immunity from jet lag. I’d also like to be able to communicate with anyone in any language. Clearly I wish I could live in an episode of Star Trek.
- What qualities do your favorite people have in common? Empathy, a sense of humor, intelligence, and willingness to try new things.
- What’s the most awkward accidental text or email you’ve ever sent or received? I’ve texted love notes to my husband, and hours later realized I actually posted them on Twitter.
- What would you like to cross off next on your bucket list? Do two unassisted pull-ups.
- How are you friends with Gina and/or Amy? Gina and I have been friends for years! We met because of her husband, Dave, who was a college friend of mine. I am one of the lucky people who witnessed their magnificent Venice wedding — something I’ll never forget. Gina was the most gorgeous bride I’ve ever seen — and Dave was the proudest and happiest groom.