Not-So-Obvious Skin Tips From A Master Aesthetician
Shari Spakes, proprietor of Pacific Heights Skincare, is one of the most sought after aestheticians in the San Francisco Bay Area. Faithful clients fly in to see her and Amy and I have been loyal fans since 1999. What makes Shari so good is her dedication to staying abreast of results-oriented practices in her field and her winning facial-bedside manner. Whether you’re 18 or 88, we’re all are obsessed with beautiful skin. Here are five simple tips to achieve Shari’s famous facial afterglow on your own.
SHARI’S 5 TIPS FOR BEAUTIFUL SKIN
1. HUMIDIFIER. Combat dry winter air with a humidifier and place it by your bed. Don’t forget to clean and change the water every few days to avoid mold and bacteria build up. Here’s a cute and simple bedside humidifier and below is the model that theWhat’s Gina Pell owns (and loves) to humidify larger spaces.
Don’t own a humidifier? No problem. Put a pot of water on your radiator, add a few drops of essentials oils. This will hydrate your skin and make the room smell nice. Essential oils also have many healing properties. These 100% pure essential oils from Floracopeia are the highest quality (thanks to our friend Susan LeComte for discovering them).
2. FACE YOGA. In addition to getting regular exercise daily I’ve been hearing a lot about the Face Yoga Method from Fumiko Takatsu, which is a safe and natural method to tighten, tone, and brighten your face. Check out her Non Surgical Facelift video.
3. COLLAGEN. Hydrating from the inside is also important and collagen boosting foods are not only great for the skin but for the joints, your immune system, and your brain. I start every day with a green drink that also includes flax seeds, coconut oil and collagen powder all have anti-inflammatory properties that help with joints, skin and also helps build collagen. You’ll have to do your own research and taste test to find your favorite collagen powder but here’s the a great collagen powder recommended and researched by theWhat reader Karen S.: Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen.
4. MASKS. I try to incorporate weekly face masks to provide exfoliation, antioxidants and hydration. My favorite mask is the Glymed Plus Hydrating Enzyme Mask. It’s a best seller in my salon and can be used on any skin type. It goes on green but when you wash it off you’ll notice tighter pores and softer, smoother skin. Everyone loves this mask expecially Gina + Amy!
5. BAKING SODA. One of my favorite at-home exfoliating tricks is to use baking soda in the bath. Skip that long hot soak in the tub and only use warm water. If you expose your skin to too-hot water, it strips the skin of its natural oils and is very dehydrating. Add a scoop of baking soda to your bath or make a scrub by mixing equal parts water and baking soda. Gently rub the mixture over your face and lips to for only a few minutes, then rinse with water. Apply lotion to your damp skin to seal in the moisture.