Felix Macnee – Our Friend of the Week
Felix’s What — “Conversations while in the bathtub!”
Felix is a drummer and a painter. I stumbled across his work at SF Open Studios sometime in the early 2000s and fell in love with one of his canvases, which was out of my price range. A few months later, I found myself still thinking about that painting and decided, who needs to eat, I’m going to buy it. But, I couldn’t remember Felix’s last name and at that time the web was so small I couldn’t find him online. A decade goes by, I’m doing research on an art project last year and, lo and behold, guess who pops up in my image search? Felix and his paintings. Sadly he never tracked down the piece I was obsessed with but we became friends in the process and I found another one of his works to love. Scroll down to read Felix’s answers to our 11Qs.
FRIEND OF THE WEEK: 11 QUESTIONS
Website: Felix Macnee Art and Music
Facebook: Paintings of Felix Macnee
- Where do you live? San Francisco
- Nickname(s) Feefee
- How do you spend your days? I’m a painter and a drummer, for the bands Royal Jelly Jive and Slim Jenkins, and a prolific drinker of coffee. Every day I practice drums and loiter in my painting studio. Occasionally I actually paint something, and I always have three or four paintings going at once.
- What’s your drink? If it isn’t coffee, it’s bourbon. Though recently I’ve been exploring the delights of gin. My bassist Tyden is an expert mixer of gin drinks.
- What do you wonder about? I wonder how long my luck can hold out!
- What is the most inspiring thing you’ve seen, watched, or read recently? I saw some high school kids on the streets of New Orleans playing in a brass band, and their skill and funkiness was fantastic. The drummers knocked me out, and I’m going to try to steal some of their moves if I can!
- If you could wake up with any superpower, what would it be? My superpower would be telekinesis. I imagine having that power would be like possessing a remote sense of touch: you could understand internal and external structures intimately … as well as move things at a distance.
- What qualities do your favorite people have in common? My favorite people are all smart and funny. And because of this, they’re also kind.
- What’s the most awkward accidental text or email you’ve ever sent or received? Via text, I accidentally invited an ex to a dinner party that I meant to invite my girlfriend to. I was just honest and admitted I was a dummy.
- What would you like to cross off next on your bucket list? I want to play at the Fillmore. And I want to have a painting in the MOMA.
- How are you friends with Gina and/or Amy? I first met Gina at my art studio. Ten or so years later she finally found me and got a painting from me. She had remembered a painting she’d wanted from that first encounter, but alas it was gone or no more. It’s still a mystery what became of it.