Friend of the Week – Clay
Clay is a soulful singer-songwriter whom we met as a child over a decade ago (GPs been friends with her Dad since the 90s). She’s always been wise beyond her years and it’s been exciting to watch her ascent from singing at local street fairs to landing the #1 spot on Spotify’s Viral 50 List this week. If anyone personifies what it means to be a Perennial—an ever-blooming person who traverses the ages—it’s Clay. We’re looking forward to watching her rise all the way to the top. You heard it here first.
Your City: from San Francisco, CA currently in Los Angeles, CA
Clay’s What – “I just read the book Americanah recently and it was one of the best books I’ve read in a loooong time. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has the ability to delve into such heavy and deeply rooted topics and put them into a pill that anyone can swallow. She is eloquent, intelligent, and absolutely hilarious. I suggest this book to everyone I meet.”
FRIEND OF THE WEEK: 11 QUESTIONS
1. Nickname: G
2. What’s your short story? I am a San Francisco native, went to Berklee College of music for a couple years and then moved to LA to pursue songwriting and music full time, to create something from the ground up. I just started releasing music and playing shows, feels like my toes are on the starting line!
3. What’s your jam? Waaaay too many to list!!! But one song that gets me every time, as in I stop in my tracks is “Sweet Thang” Rufus ft. Chaka Khan. My dad and I used to belt it in the car together.
4. What motivates you? The only tattoo I have reads “trust.” Located on my wrist. Every time I stray from my path or my purpose I look down and remember to trust in myself and the universe and remember everything happens for a reason, everything will always be okay!
5. Who do you think you’d have great friend chemistry with? Love this question! I have always thought that Pharrell Williams would be my ultimate friend in my industry. Someone who believes in the power of self and expressing individuality and positivity and light! I also think we would just be able to crack up and vibe on a human level aside from music.
6. What qualities do your favorite friends have in common? They are all trustworthy, honest, communicative and loyal. Also they can all take a joke, don’t take things too seriously and know how to enjoy life. I feel sooo lucky to not be judged by my friends, they let me be all types of crazy and love me more for it, and vice versa.
7. What’s the smartest, most inspiring, awesome thing you’ve read, watched, or listened to? I just read the book Americanah recently and it was one of the best books I’ve read in a loooong time. Chimamanda Ngozi has the ability to delve into such a heavy and deeply rooted topics and put them into a pill that anyone can swallow. She is eloquent, intelligent, and absolutely hilarious. I suggest this book to everyone I meet.
8. What whets your appetite? Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. Anytime, any place, any city. I love me some pancakes and eggs and grits and sausage and I will never grow out of it.
9. What’s next on your To Do List? I want to go on tour! Live performing is everything to me. I am most comfortable when I am on stage singing. Bucket list in the future is opening for an artist I admire and eventually touring, and then never stopping…
10. How are you friends with Gina + Amy? I know Gina through my incredible dad, Fritz Clay. She’s known me from a young age, (I would say since I was little but I’m pretty sure I was already 5’9” by age 10).
11. What’s the single best piece of advice you’ve ever received? To always trust my instincts, listen my inner voice and stay true to myself. Both of my parents instilled that in me from birth. I am grateful for that.