Join Our Team of Contributing Editors
Publish your work on The What and inspire our global audience of curious, clever readers.
The What is all about what works in our lives and yours–be it a piece of advice, a great bottle of wine, a good book, an inspiring article, a life changing product or experience, a new way of looking at old problems–or how to get the most out of a moment. Our tastes run eclectic and our passions run deep. We don’t choose contributors according popularity, followers, or “fabulousness.” We value honesty, imperfection, curiosity, intelligence, creativity, kindness, compassion, generosity of spirit, depth, inclusiveness, and a pleasure of sharing. We never require a positive spin on things but we do strive to give readers a moment of discovery or a way of feeling understood or connected. The foundation of The What is built on the longtime friendship of its founders, Amy Parker + Gina Pell, and our goal is to create an intimate, trusting environment for our readers.
The What prides itself on discovery, originality, and quality. We try to turn people on to what’s fresh, fascinating, and unique. There’s so much clickbait on the web that promises groundbreaking epiphanies neatly packaged into Top 5 lists only to deliver recycled or obvious information. Yes, we know we should meditate, eat better, sleep more, cut down on sugar, boozing, and practice gratitude. What else can you tell us about?
Our content is broad and not limited to the categories below. Our readers love our recommendations on Books, Beauty, Fashion, Health, and Career-related topics but we also have a lot of interest in Home, Tech, Design, Travel, Science, and Humor. Again, it’s less about the expertise you have in a given area (though if you do, what a cherry on top!) but more about a non-obvious discovery you’ve made in one of these categories that you’d like to share.
Life + Style
Art & Design
Travel + Entertainment
Science + Technology
Relationships + Sexuality + Family
Humor + Random
TO READ US IS TO KNOW US
If you do not currently read or subscribe to The What then sign-up and get familiar with our content and voice. From the Friends of the Week we feature (actual friends of ours who energize us) to the products we own and experiences we have–everything on The What is a part of our lives. We prefer that our contributors come from our existing network of readers rather than from writers simply looking for a popular forum to publish their work.
For consideration, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put category of post into email subject along with full pitch of what you want to write about and why.
- Images for your post. (Attach images to your email. Ideal size 500×1000 landscape) Send only images that you have the rights to use.
- Your bio along with any URLS and/or relevant social media accounts.
- A headshot or photo of you to use with your byline.
- Our goal is to respond to each submission within 7 Days.
- The What is a forum to get your work in front of a sophisticated, global audience. At this time we are unable to provide any monetary compensation for submissions. However, if your posts drive a significant amount of readers we might eventually hire you.
- By submitting to The What you acknowledge that you accept our terms and any form of editing the The What editorial team deems necessary.