Our Friend of the Week – Mikaela South
Your City: San Francisco, CA
Mikaela’s Beauty Whats –
AIRE: It’s a bath ritual experience in NYC called, Aire Ancient Baths. It’s a gorgeous candlelit spa with soaking baths, steam rooms and cold plunge pools. They also have a bunch of fresh juice, tea and water. My favorite part is the floatarium – I put my toes on the edge of the float pool, close my eyes and I find the most satisfying, relaxed state of being.
MICROCURRENT FACIAL: I visited celebrity esthetician Joanna Vargas’ Spa and got hooked on Microcurrent! It’s a non-invasive, nonsurgical treatment that uses a low voltage electrical current to stimulate collagen and elastin production at a cellular level! It’s brilliant at lifting the eyebrows and toning facial muscles. It’s like sending your face to the gym.
PELETON: On-demand cycle classes at home with kick-ass instructors and amazing music! I like that you can live-stream classes directly from one of their studios. Interactive, challenging and convenient!
NATURAL CALM MAGNESIUM: This is a powder supplement I take in water before bed to help me relax, calm my mind, de-stress and unwind.
ROSE BALM GLOSS, BY TERRY: My lips tend to be perpetually dry this time of year. This is my favorite lip balm in a tube – it has a hint of color and it’s so buttery smooth on the lips.
FRIEND OF THE WEEK: 11 QUESTIONS
WEBSITE: MIKAELA SOUTH
1. Nickname: Occasionally, I get “M”.
2. What’s your short story? I’m a makeup artist, on-air host, and vlogger. I believe beauty and well-being are interconnected. I encourage a 360-approach that is more holistic and rooted in making mindful decisions about your body and beauty routine that align with your goals and lifestyle. Products provide a cosmetic transformation, but I also help women surface their energy (life-force) and glow, because so much of the true beauty of a woman comes from inside her.
3. What’s your jam? “Roar,” Katy Perry
4. What motivates you? I am a student of life. I’m constantly learning, sharing and discovering new things. I’m motivated and inspired by the world around me.
5. Who do you think you’d have great friend chemistry with? Anyone who thinks about big picture life questions and who also loves to laugh. Right now, I have girl crushes on Natalie Portman and Goldie Hawn (Have you seen her Instagram? Hilarious and lovely.) I’d also like to think Jimmy Fallon and Martha Stewart would be my friends.
6. What qualities do your favorite friends have in common? Curious, Adventurous, Fun, Grateful, Do-ers, Thinkers, Aware, Courageous.
7. What’s the smartest, most inspiring, awesome thing you’ve read, watched, or listened to? Transcendental Meditation has really had a positive impact on how I handle stress. I had to unlearn what I thought was the way to meditate and now it comes with ease. It’s calming, grounding and frees up brain space so I can take action on the things in life that are the most important to me.
8. What whets your appetite? Taking a walk through the CA Redwoods (totally gets my cells buzzing). A fresh mani/pedi. A polenta pop tart and cappuccino from Cibo in Sausalito – yum!
9. What’s next on your To Do List? I’m currently researching how to barrel age whiskey to make manhattans. Also, when cherry season rolls around again, I want figure out how to brandy them.
10. How are you friends with Gina + Amy? Gina and Amy came into my life at a time when I had just graduated Berkeley and I was looking for an opportunity in the beauty industry. We worked together at Joyus to figure out shoppable videos, a new concept five years ago. These two have a spark and a sense of wonder that’s contagious! I’m forever grateful for Gina and Amy in my life!
11. What’s the single best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Socrates said, “True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.” I’m reminded of this quote often. It keeps my mind open to rethinking and receiving information in new ways!